How to Select a Qualified Roofer near Cullman Alabama
When your roof is old or damaged and you are looking for a local roofing contractor in Cullman AL, it is imperative that you find an experienced professional that is not only licensed but screened for your protection and peace of mind. The roofer that you finally hire should be able to handle any job that involves shingles, including fixing leaks, applying water proof coatings, snow removal or building a new roof. She or he should also be a specialist that works solely in the roofing trade as either a smaller one person shop with a crew or as part of a larger construction company. But undoubtedly most important of all is to hire a roofing contractor that has developed an outstanding reputation for quality workmanship at reasonable prices. And before the project even begins, you must receive a written estimate with all of the specifics so that you will know how much the project costs before making your decision. That is how a professional company conducts business. So how do you locate the right roofing contractor for your home? Let’s take a look at a few of the important factors to consider before hiring a licensed contractor near you.
Roof Installation, Inspection or Repair
The following list of roofing installation, maintenance and repair services are offered by the majority of Cullman AL roofers. Since this is only a partial list it is not all inclusive of the services offered. If you are in need of a roofing service not listed below and would like a proposal from our featured vendor, please be sure to inquire with your quote request if that service is available in your area.
- Residential and Commercial Roofing
- New Roof Installation or Replacement
- Roof Inspection and Repair
- Leak Detection and Repair
- Maintenance and Cleaning
- Snow Removal
- Shingle Replacement
- Skylight Installation
- Water Proofing and Coatings
How to Hire a Roofing Contractor
Roofing is a trade or a profession that each State regulates and licenses. It requires experience and expertise and is generally not the type of work that should be entrusted to a “jack of all trades” or a handyman. So, if your roof has leak or it finally needs to be replaced, it is extremely important that you hire the services of a licensed Cullman AL roofing contractor. Following are some of the critical steps that you should take before selecting a professional roofer for your repair or replacement job.
- Consult with a minimum of 3 Local Roofing Contractors. Speaking with at least three Cullman AL roofers will give you a good idea of what the job entails and what it should cost. However, you should not make your decision based exclusively on the lowest bid. Be cautious of any excessively high or low quotes as well and ask the contractor why the extreme difference in cost. Also, work only with contractors that have an established local presence. Avoid “storm chasers” or door to door salesmen who claim they can get your insurance to pay for the whole job.
- Check Licensing and Credentials. Be sure to do your due diligence regarding any of the contractors that you are considering hiring. Professional and reputable Cullman AL roofing companies will be licensed and insured for both your and their protection. They should also be willing to provide at least 3 references from past local customers, preferably providing photos of their finished work. Be sure to contact the references and ask if they have been completely satisfied with the work. Checking with your Alabama Attorney General for complaints filed, the Better Business Bureau or online review services are some of the other ways you can determine if they do excellent work.
- Get it all in Writing. Be sure to obtain and review your contract very carefully with the Cullman AL roofing contractor present so that you can address any questions. If you are not clear regarding any of the terms, have a lawyer review it first before signing. Make sure that you completely understand the warranty and payment schedule. Finally, confirm that all services to be performed that are included in the contract are clearly detailed, including such things as the materials or shingles to be used, the hauling away the old shingles and the general clean up after the job.
- Verify Permits and Insurance. Before allowing any work to begin, make sure that any permits that are required are properly obtained and displayed. This is something that any professional Cullman AL roofing contractor will be happy to take care of as part of their service under the contract. Also, make sure that the contractor’s employees are protected by Workers Compensation Insurance and that you and your home are both protected with Liability Insurance. You can request Certificates of Insurance that will provide proof that the coverages are in order. It is a good idea to also call the insurance provider to confirm that the policies have not lapsed. Finally, check with your own insurance company if the roof repair or replacement work is covered under your policy to ensure that all requirements have been satisfied and approval given before any work begins.
- Pay for Work as Completed. Do not pay for the entire roofing project in advance. If the contractor requires full immediate payment in the contract, don’t sign it. A “Good Faith” initial deposit combined with a payment schedule based on the work completed is a fairly common practice in Cullman AL and is reasonable. Also, if possible pay with a credit card instead of with a check or cash. Most credit card vendors offer some form of purchase protection, which will make it easier in case of a dispute and can eliminate the need to go to court to recoup your investment.
Need a New Roof in Cullman Alabama?
If you live in the Cullman AL area and are in need of a good, reliable as well as affordable roofing contractor, following is some background information about your hometown that may be of interest.
Cullman is a city in and the county seat of Cullman County, Alabama, United States. It is located along Interstate 65, about 50 miles (80 km) north of Birmingham and about 55 miles (89 km) south of Huntsville. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 14,775, with an estimated population of 15,385 in 2017.
In the time before European settlement, the area that today includes Cullman was originally in the territory of the Cherokee Nation. The region was traversed by a trail known as the Black Warrior's Path, which led from the Tennessee River near the present location of Florence, Alabama, to a point on the Black Warrior River south of Cullman. This trail figured significantly in Cherokee history, and it featured prominently in the American Indian Wars prior to the establishment of the state of Alabama and the relocation of several American Indian tribes, including the Creek people westward along the Trail of Tears. During the Creek War in 1813, General Andrew Jackson of the U.S. Army dispatched a contingent of troops down the trail, one of which included the frontiersman Davy Crockett.
In the 1820s and the 1830s, two toll roads were built linking the Tennessee Valley to present-day Birmingham. In 1822, Abraham Stout was given a charter by the Alabama Legislature to open and turnpike a road beginning from Gandy's Cove in Morgan County to the ghost town of Baltimore on the Mulberry Fork near Colony. The road passed near present-day Vinemont through Cullman, Good Hope, and down the current Interstate 65 corridor to the Mulberry Fork. The road was later extended to Elyton (Birmingham) in 1827. It then became known as Stout's Road. Mace Thomas Payne Brindley was given a charter in 1833 to turnpike two roads, one running between Blount Springs to Somerville by way of his homestead in present-day Simcoe, and the second road passing west of Hanceville and east of Downtown Cullman to join Stout's Road north of the city. What later became the Brindley Turnpike became an extension of Stout's Road to Decatur. Cullman later became located between the juncture of the two roads, and they predated the corridor of U.S. Route 31.
Metal Roofs Cost Cullman AL
Finding the right local roofing contractor in your area is easy. Just request your free estimates from the preferred vendor on this website now. You originally came to our website because fo your interest in receiving more information regarding Metal Roofs Cost. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top licensed roofers servicing your area. Experienced professionals are standing by waiting to compete for your business. So what are you waiting for? Find the right Cullman AL roofer at the right price now!
More Roof Top Areas in Alabama